Tuesday, April 14, 2009

"SAPPHIRE" INDIAN CUISINE



LAL Q RATING SCORE: 9/10

LOCATION:
1845 Broadway, New York, NY 10023-7602
(Between 60th & 61st )
Tel: (212) 245-4444
Fax: (212) 245-9145

This was a complete surprise. I came across this restaurant while wandering around the Lincoln Center of Performing Arts, waiting for my show to start. I thought I would grab something to eat before I went into the almost 4 hour long show.
The restaurant is located right next to the NYIT (NY Institute of Technology). Of course, seeing many Indians hanging around NYIT, I made a comment to my husband, "I'm sure there must be an Indian Restaurant around here." And sure enough, as soon as the words came out of my mouth, there the restaurant appeared right in front of us.
We decided to go in and have a quick bite to eat. The service was excellent, and the ambiance pleasant and comfortable. The decor was all hand-crafted wood, even down to the large intricately carved lamp posts. I saw two gigantic lamps on either side of the restaurant, which was divided by a curved pathway. Called an "Indian Gem" by New York Magazine - October 30, 2000, this is the only Indian Restaurant near the Lincoln Center.



For Appetizers we ordered:
1. Tandoori Vegetables - Assorted vegetables marinated in yogurt, cheese and spices
2. Kakori Kabab - Finely minced lamb flavored with fresh herbs and spices

Both dishes were tintillating to my appetite. The lamb was soft and just melted in my mouth with each bite, with the Tandoori Vegetables adding a little excitement to my non-vegetarian appetite. We inhaled the appetizers, which were also served in quite a large quantity.

Next, we ordered our Main Course:
1. Mutter Pulao - Cumin flavored basmati rice with green peas
2. Lachha Paratha - Multi-layered whole wheat bread
3. Goat Curry - Flavored with Indian Spices

The Lachha Paratha was actually a "real" Lachha Paratha, made in Layers and just the right level of crispiness. The Mutter Pulao went really well with the Goat Curry. Our waiter was the one who graciously suggested the we get the Mutter Pulao.
The staff was very cordial and were extremely attentive. The minute my glass was half empty with water, they came by to fill it up again.

We did not get a chance to try the wines, but they do have wines from Morocco, Argentina, Australia, France and Italy, starting at $28.

When we were about to leave, I asked the waiter if he would keep my leftovers for me for when I return from the Opera. Without any hesitation, he grinned and nodded. He said, "Sure, we can do that. And if you don't come back, we'll have to eat it!".

This is a diamond in the ruff. I had no idea this restaurant even existed let alone being so good.

1 comment: